Long gone are the days of easy dresses for that summer wedding. Temperatures are dropping, but weddings don’t stop for cooler weather! Do you have a wedding coming up but you’re not sure what to wear? Here are 20 perfect fall wedding guest dresses, plus a couple of things to look for when shopping.
How to Shop for a Fall Wedding Guest Dress
Summer is always really easy when it comes to wedding guest dressing; just throw on a breezy flow dress and you’re good to go. But fall can get a bit tricky. Be on the lookout for the following:
- Dress Code: Cooler seasons tend to lend themselves to more formal occasions. I don’t know why. Maybe because it’s colder and people want to wear longer dresses to keep warm? Make sure you take a look at the dress code before shopping for your event.
- Ditch the lighter colors: It’s fall, embrace it. Look for darker shades that match the season. Even if you’re shopping your own closet and regardless of dress code, “fall” colors will keep you in check. My personal favorites that are always in style for this season: navy, warm tones like mustard or deep red, and rich jewel tones (think royal purple or a vibrant turquoise).
- Embrace trends: animal prints, moody florals, and liquid metallics are perfect trends to experiment with this fall wedding season. if you’re not sure about a trend or need some general fall inspiration, check out my online magazine filled to the brim with 6 of my favorite fall trends.
- Play with lengths: on your hemline and your sleeves. Maybe try a mini dress with longer sleeves like the dress I’m wearing here? I love this dress. Its short length keeps it flirty, but the longer sleeves make this less undeniably “not summer.” (Also these sleeves are actually sheer, so this dress will keep you warm but then allow some breathing room for dancing!) Shop it here, here, or here. (SIZE NOTE: if you’re between sizes consider going up one size as it’s slim in the chest area.)
- Transition your summer dress: Okay, maybe you’re not in the market to buy something new – transition that summer dress! Take what you have an throw on an open cardigan, then accessorize with textures like leather or suede. STYLE TIP: pick a color from your dress and pair with a cardigan in a darker version of that color. Let’s say your dress has pink; find a pink cardigan but opt for something in a darker pink, maybe even a berry color. It’ll help make the dress feel less summery, I promise.
All set? Don’t feel like shopping on your own even after those tips? No sweat, I’ve rounded up 20 of my favorite fall wedding guest dresses right here for you. Shop below.