If you’re in the mood for a cocktail that looks just as good as it tastes, then you’ll want to try this blackberry thyme spritzer. With just four ingredients, this drink is perfect for when you want to cool down on a hot day. It’s sweet from the blackberries, earthy from the thyme, and perfectly refreshing from the bubbly sparkling water. And did I mention, that it’s completely alcohol-free?
Blackberry Thyme Spritzer
What is a Spritzer?
A spritzer, or spritz, is a chilled drink with some kind of sparkling water. Typically, they’re made with white wine, but there are a handful of variations out there, from red wine spritzers to many other fruity spritzers including this blackberry thyme one right here.
What You’ll Need for This Blackberry Thyme Spritzer
- Sparkling Water
For this recipe, we’ll be making a flavored simple syrup with the blackberries, thyme and sugar, so be sure you have a small saucepan, a fine mesh strainer, and a bowl or cocktail mixing glass.
Shop all of my bar ware on my Amazon Storefront.
What is Simple Syrup?
Simple syrup is a sweetener used in many cocktails. It’s equal parts sugar and water, boiled together to make a sweet liquid.
You can also use fruit and herbs to infuse flavors into simple syrup for specialty drinks, like our blackberry thyme spritzer.
How to Make A Blackberry Thyme Spritzer
Step 1: Make The Infused Simple Syrup
In a small saucepan, add water, sugar, and blackberries and cook over low heat. Once the water starts to boil add in the thyme. As the berries become soft, you can press them with a spoon to help release their juices.
Step 2: Strain the Puree From the Syrup
Once you’ve cooked the blackberries down, remove the saucepan from the heat. Let the blackberries cool and remove the thyme.
Grab your bowl or mixing glass and strainer and pour the simple syrup concoction into the strainer to separate the fruit puree from the syrup.
Be sure your syrup is completely cooled before making your blackberry thyme spritz.
Step 3: Pour and Add Sparkling Water
When you’re ready to create your cocktail, grab a glass and fill it with ice. Fill the glass about 3/4 with sparkling water, then top off with the infused syrup and garnish with blackberries and thyme.
*Alternatively, if you’re looking to add booze to your drink, grab a mixing glass and mix the syrup and in 1 oz of your favorite alcohol. Gin, rum, or vodka would work best here. Then, fill your cocktail glass with ice and 3/4 sparkling water. Top with the alcohol syrup and garnish.
Blackberry Thyme Spritzer
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, plus a handful for garnish
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- plain sparkling water
- In a small saucepan, add water, sugar, and blackberries and cook over low heat. Once the water starts to boil add in the thyme and let simmer for about 10 minutes. (As the berries become soft, you can press them with a spoon to help release their juices.) Make sure the sugar is fully dissolved, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove the thyme, and grab a bowl or mixing glass and a strainer. Strain to separate the fruit puree from the syrup. Be sure your syrup is completely cooled to room temperature before making your blackberry thyme spritzer.
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice and ¾ with sparkling water. Add 2 oz of the blackberry thyme syrup, then garnish with blackberries and thyme.